Leaving your dorm or apartment vacant while you celebrate the holidays? Here's a quick to-do checklist so you don't waste energy over break (increasing your electricity bill) and/or come home to a very unpleasant room:
- Unplug all appliances, including refrigerators, microwaves, and fans. Don't forget alarm clocks, chargers and lamps.
- Make sure your refrigerator is empty and defrosted prior to leaving. This means consuming/disposing of perishable foods.
- Take out the trash & recycling! Leaving it sit for that long could result in various bad endings...
- Most power strips have an on/off switch - turn them all off!
- Make sure the windows are shut tight and locked.
- Turn off your lights when you leave.
- Turn your heat down to the lowest possible setting so that your pipes don't freeze, but you aren't running the heat at full blast for an empty apartment. This is typically around 60 degrees Fahrenheit, but rules vary by landlord.