- Give the gift of experience! This way you're not creating more waste. It could be concert tickets, a nice dinner, a spa day, a class, a ski day....the options are endless! Plus, good memories are the best gift you can give.
- Food! Again, a little to no waste gift. It's even more thoughtful if you make treats for a loved one with a dietary restriction. Bake up some vegan cookies or a gluten-free casserole.
- Make a handmade, upcycled or sustainable present; Lotion bars and sweater slippers are just a couple ideas. With a quick Google search, you're sure to find something perfect!
- Give the gift that keeps giving! Such as a symbolic adoption, endangered species chocolate, a Lush charity pot... Find a cause your friend cares about and find what you can do to help. You can even make a donation in their name!
- Slow fashion makes for a great gift as well. "Slow fashion is emerging as one of the best solutions to the many problems associated with the culture of disposable fashion. Similar to slow food, slow fashion embraces thoughtful and enduring designs, transparent production and sustainable materials. It means owning fewer, better things. The gifts we suggest here are meant to be useful and beautiful, practical and long-lasting." Look around for sustainably-made, high-quality clothing items that anyone is sure to love. A couple slow fashion brands we love are Patagonia and United by Blue.
We found many of these ideas on the wonderful website TreeHugger.