- Turn off lights when not in use during the day and at night, including in common areas such as kitchens, conference rooms and storage closets. Contact the Office of Sustainability for light switch decals where needed.
- Use power strips as central turn off points at individual work stations and for small appliances and switch them off each night.
- Close blinds/drapes at night.
- Provide paper recycling bins in all common areas where trash bins are present, such as in kitchens and copy rooms.
- Educate staff members about recycling bins for cans and bottles located in hallways.
Waste Reduction Tips
- Print or copy to both sides of a page whenever possible (set double-siding as a default if possible).
- Reuse paper that has text on only one side whenever appropriate.
- Return the plastic reusable crate to Staples personnel after each delivery.
Events and Meeting Tips
- At internal meetings, use reusable cups, dishware, and utensils whenever possible and avoid paper handouts and use electronic media instead.
- At large events, request recycling bins (include on work order and contact the Recycling Office).
Kitchen and Break Rooms
- Use environmentally preferable dishwashing soap.
- Replace bottled water service with a simple water filtration system, or use the water bottle refilling stations located around campus.
- When publishing a newsletter, offer an electronic version that readers can select instead of the paper version.
- For all printing outside of the office, ask that paper with at least 30% percent recycled content be used.
- Become familiar with sustainable transportation options.