What will you do as an EcoRep? Join us to find out!
Temple recognizes the important role that students play in building a sustainable campus from the ground up.
EcoReps is a peer education program which trains and develops you to embody, promote and lead sustainable change and climate action on campus.
The EcoReps program is for all students from every corner of campus who care about sustainability. It is your gateway to sustainability programming, volunteer opportunities, and leadership development.
How It Works
There are three levels of involvement through the EcoReps program.
1. An EcoVolunteer is any student who has joined Sustainability Owl Connect or is living in sustainability-affiliated Living Learning Community.
2. EcoAdvocates are students actively seeking more leadership opportunities and further sustainability literacy. In order to become an EcoAdvocate you must fill out the EcoRep Interest Inventory - it helps us learn more about you and design programming with your interests and skills in mind. Additionally, and you must attend or volunteer at six Office of Sustainability events over the course of a semester.
3. EcoLeads are experienced (paid) Sustainability team members with particular focus areas who help lead other students. This position is application-based. EcoLeads will most often be hired in the late spring, early summer, leading up to the fall semester.
Why should I become an EcoRep?
Advancing through the program, you will have the opportunity to touch different functions, campaigns and initiatives of the Office of Sustainability and specialize according to your individual academic and professional interests.
Our EcoReps programs, events and experiential learning cover a wide array of topics in sustainability, including but not limited to:
- Zero Waste
- Sustainable Transportation and Environmental Planning
- Climate Justice: Policy and Activism
- Urban Sustainability
- Food Systems
- Health and the Environment
- Built Environment and Sustainable Design
- Sustainable Operations and Facility Management
- Environmental Engineering: Energy, Water, Utilities
- Environment Science: Ecology, Horticulture, Agriculture
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Business
- Climate Advocacy and Communications
In addition to the programming, service and leadership opportunities, through participating in the EcoReps program, you will gain top-rated transferable skills.
EcoAdvocate and EcoLeads build employer-favorite career competencies like written communication and problem-solving skills and important experience leading and working collaboratively with a team. (Additionally: initiative, strong work ethic, verbal communication, detail-oriented, technical, analytical and quantitative skills.)
What have EcoReps done?
EcoReps are part of the greater sustainability team. They help our office achieve the goals outlined in the Climate Action Plan via programming, outreach, service, communication, and telling our stories around campus and the city.
- EcoReps have founded a student-led, bike-powered organic waste pickup service, Diamond Compost
- EcoReps have written, shot, and marketed a zero waste video series
- EcoReps have authored and facilitated teach-ins and workshops on topics such as low carbon eating, environmental justice, and Good Neighbor stewardship initiatives
- EcoReps have fixed up dozens of reclaimed abandoned bikes and oversaw the Secondhand Cycle Sale
- EcoReps have coordinated student participation in Give + Go Green, our sustainable move out program, in every residence hall, and sorted tons of clothing in preparation for Temple Thrift